Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Ivana

As I mentioned in my last post, Ivana just turned 26. We're coming up on the two year anniversary of her moving in with us. There are so many things I want to tell her, but I just don't think it's the right time yet.

I was thinking this morning how, when we were marking the first year since her move in with us, I still couldn't see much change. People around us noticed, and yeah, there were some differences, but not a lot of change. Now I see change, but not just in her.

Having her here has highlighted weaknesses in myself. I've had to face things and come to terms with small issues that I never liked to look at before. I'm really beginning to wonder what I'll do when she leaves.

There are no immediate plans, but she has told us she feels more and more often like she's ready to be on her own. We still disagree. She'd be broke in a month. I've handed over to her the responsibility of our home budget. I want her to see how much it costs to have a family.

This morning at the breakfast table I disagreed with Timothy in front of her. I wanted her to see how you can state your opinion respectfully and honestly without arguing or tearing your husband down. This was the first time we let her in on one of our more private conversations, but she saw right away what we were doing and how it worked. Then we let her witness us throwing our napkins back and forth at each other.

I keep thinking of a conversation I'd had with Barbara Telzerow on one of the days I wanted to put Ivana out of the house (there were many). Barbara told me that if we hadn't taken her in when we did Ivana would probably be back where she started, or at least in a very dark and miserable state. That's not to brag on us, but what an honor to be a part of a life that will change so many others.

Ivana is extremely teachable which has made so much of her time here so easy. I bought her the Spanish edition of Captivating this summer and she's eaten it up. I'll see her in her room making notes; not just reading, but learning and digesting.

Ivana will begin university in October and finish her high school exams this winter. This last year of high school she's learned to plan ahead and to find goals and see them accomplished. She's grown up. I no longer feel like I'm raising some else's 15 year old. I have a peer and I'm beginning to have a new friend.

Kudos to my husband and pastors who made me stick with this girl...excuse me, young woman, when I rather would have thrown her out on her ear!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tisra said...

Wow. I can't imagine.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

You're little girl is growing up. I'm glad that you have grown to appreciate her more.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home