Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Last Week

I thought I should write about what we did last week... For the most part, Dad and I sat around the house and let time catch up with us. We did take one day and go to the open market in the city center. We have pictures that I'll have to put on the Kodak Gallery (formerly Ofoto) later.

Since we were downtown we were going to go to the office to have lunch with Timothy, but our morning outing didn't take as long as I thought it would so we had time on our hands and I was wondering what to do. I remembered the little workshop, Demsar, where the man makes stringed instruments by hand. I warned Dad that I hadn't brought my map so we may not find it, but I knew enough not to get us lost completely.

I led us right to the front door! I was slightly proud of myself. Mr. Demsar wasn't in, but a man let us look at some items, including a child's violin (so tiny!). He gave me a pamphlet and I told him my mother-in-law would probably want to come by when she's there in July. As we were walking out the door he asked where we were from and I told him that I grew up in Michigan, where my father still lived, but before moving to Ljubljana my husband and I lived in Nashville. "Wait here!" He went to the back and came out a minute later telling us we needed to go back there. The guitar maker was there and a man had just come to pick up a guitar.

In a back room some guy was slapping a beautiful handmade guitar to death! It was pretty incredible what sounds he was getting out of that thing. Dad asked him if he'd ever been to Nashville and he said, "Not yet." (Watch out for the Slovene named Sasha! He's comin' to town!) They told us when we come back to call. I guess I'm somebody b/c I lived in Nashville.

Other than that, we ate out one night at the Mexican restaurant and had ice cream and listened to Macedonian folk music in Preseren Square. Dad joined me in my walk to Mercator a couple times and I was glad to have him since it's harder and harder to push the stroller up hill. He's even started saying "Dan," (short for good day) to the locals we meet!

I'm praying Timothy gets caught up at work and can take more than one day off next week so we can see the lakes and drive to the Croatian coast next week when Dad comes back from Germany.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Sounds pretty cool. I need to make a list of the things I want to see when we get the chance to visit. Of course you won't be in walking distance of so much by then.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

okay...I know you're pregnant, taking iron suppliments that make you sick, getting ready to move and have a house guest...but this blog is so last month already. :)

4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home