Monday, April 18, 2005

Owies

Last Sunday Clay's friend Blansh bit Clay on the nose. I heard a howling and headed to the room where the younger kids have Sunday school. There were a couple bloody spots; the worst of which was right on top. I should have gotten a picture. We went for a walk outside, but Clay didn't want me to leave him again. This particular room is next door to the main room where we have the service. I stayed so that Clay wouldn't cry the rest of the time and be a distraction.

Blansh wouldn't be described as a violent kid. He's 3 months younger than Clay and I think really loves Clay. I think he was just attempting a show of affection. However, it's annoying when the parents of the kid who physically harmed your kid don't do anything about it. My mom taught us that when children bite they need to be bit back. They don't understand that biting hurts very much and that's the only way someone so young will learn the physics of biting. Blansh's mommy saw me slap Clay on the back of the hand one time when Clay was getting into the trash at church. I had already told him no and stuff like that. She said that I shouldn't do that and should just try to distract him. Whatever. It's so funny to me b/c I feel like I'm so much more liberal with Clay than my parents were with us, but I'm still really strict compared to other parents at church.

Clay left the scab on his nose alone and it fell off on it's own yesterday morning on the way to church. It's healed quite nicely and all has been forgotten.

This morning Clay was playing in the bathroom, with all the lovely marble tile, and I heard a thud behind me. I turned to see him lying on his back and the look of pain and no breath coming out of his mouth. We left that room to try and put our minds on something else, but even the outside world wouldn't console him this time. I'm sure it really hurt. Finally he agreed with the idea of wrestling on our bed. That gave me the opportunity to look at his pupils real close to make sure they hadn't dilated. I had already been rubbing the back of his head and there were no bumps.

Later, he couldn't resist the temptation of the hot iron. Actually, he may not have meant to even touch it, but he did so now he has his first blister located on his right pinky finger. I've been wondering when something like this would happen. He's been fascinated by the iron when it's out and the oven when it's on and I figured we would have our first burn before too long. Fortunately, it's very small and doesn't seem to bother him. I put egg white on it right away and later some Neosporin and I tried a band-aid, but that received major protests.

We've been up late (anything past 10 is late for us) every night since Wednesday. Timothy said he has a headache and I haven't felt good all day. Clay has been extra fussy and we all need naps! We may have company for dinner this evening so chances are we won't get to bed very early this evening either.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

You can read in Kris' blog about Owen's owies. He had a bunch of splinters in his feet and legs. I can't believe people tell you how to discipline like that. Maybe you should be as bold as they are and tell them they should spank their kids.

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home