Thursday, March 17, 2005

My Life Revolves Around Clay!

Clay and I walked to the grocery story yesterday. It was a gorgeous spring day and I was sweating even in a light sweater. Clay just had a jacket on and we got all kinds of funny looks from the babicas (grandmas). All the young Slovene children we met were still in their winter coats, hats and mittens. We're going to get funny looks until May 1. That's when it's acceptable to wear spring clothing. In Slovenia you dress according to the calendar, not the mercury in your thermometer. And it gets worse the further south you go. In Serbia the babicas are really bad.

I opened the big patio door in the living room and had the kitchen window propped open. It was nice to hear the birds singing so clear and smell the smoke from a neighbor's wood fire. When Clay woke up I put him back in his jacket and his squeaky shoes and let him go out in the back yard by himself to play for the first time. It's fenced in so he can't escape. I was getting my dinner ready and our things together for house group. He sat and threw bird seed off the patio into the grass.

He ended up falling off the patio and the way he fell made me sure he snapped his neck. He was sitting on the edge and he didn't tumble over. From what I could see and the way his body went up in the air it looked like he landed on his head. I ran out there almost certain he was dead, but he gets up and made a complaining noise, but that was it. He wanted to sit down again and throw more seed. The patio is about a foot and a half high from the ground. I'm so glad the soft dirt caught him!

Before I let him out I realized I couldn't watch him every second so I prayed over him and let him go. I suppose that will become a more frequent occurrence as he gets older! I'm so glad I did pray. On the other hand, I was kind of hoping he would fall, just not in that way. He needs to understand the edge and why he needs to be careful there.

There are some other dangers out there. We have a sink in the ground (that's the only way I can think to describe it) that concerns Timothy. Again, it's about a foot and a half deep, a foot square and tiled so a fall in there could be more serious. I'm going to call the landlords today to ask if there's a way to cover it or what they did when they had small kids here. This house was broken into years ago and since then the landlords have planted roses, holly and all kinds of other shrubbery with thorns on both sides of the fence! I want Clay to be able to go out, but someone will have to be with him.

There was another little boy at house group last night; 3 year old Martin. Clay loved having someone to play with. Martin wasn't feeling that good, but played some. I'm so glad Clay is friendly with the other little kids.

We're still negotiating for the house we want, but it looks less and less like we're going to get it. It will take a miracle and I'm happy to accept that. I think I should continue the hunt though, but the realtor hasn't called me in a while. I need to call him, but I feel like I have too much on my plate today and tomorrow.

Ivana and I need to translate some documents for SaveOne and tomorrow afternoon we leave for a marriage conference. We'll be back Saturday night and I'm looking forward to watching the service at Cornerstone again on Sunday.

Ivana and Clay walked to the grocery store so I should do something that I can't do with Clay around. I read my sister Mary's blog and think, "Wow! How does she make all those things?" She's always sewing something or creating something. I made my own coasters for my coffee table. I picked up three stones on the hill in front of our house that were flat and square shaped and I've been gluing felt to their bottoms so they don't scratch anything. The last one needs to be finished and I just got more super glue so I could do that this morning. I also found felt at that craft store so I can make more. They don't sell felt in the fabric stores so I thought I couldn't get it here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tisra said...

I'm right there with you on, "How does Mary make all those things?". I'm fully convinced that she must slip Owen a little something-something into his sippy cup, because my kids would have to be drugged and out cold for me to accomplish that much crafty stuff in one day!

7:23 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I think I'm giving the wrong impression. I don't accomplish all that much, and certainly not in one day. I just work on a lot of different things in one day. I may get one row of knitting done and that makes me feel like I've done something, so I am satisfied. Once I actually finish something...well...that's party material there.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home